The County Surveyor is responsible for review and approval of subdivision maps (Tract Maps and Parcel Maps) in the unincorporated areas of Mono County. Additional responsibilities include checking Records of Survey Maps and Corner Records within both unincorporated territory and incorporated areas (within the Town of Mammoth Lakes). Currently Mono County has contracted with Lumos and Associates for these County Surveyor services.
PROCESS & STEPS FOR RECORD OF SURVEY SUBMITTALS
- A California Licensed Civil Engineer or Land Surveyor can submit 1st submittal draft map sheets, reference documents and closure calculations in “pdf” file format via the Public Works email (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you prefer, you can send it all by snail mail. Only one plot set is needed.
- Mail a required fee* deposit check of $660 (made out to “Mono County” or “Mono County Department of Public Works”) to P.O. Box 457, 74 North School St., Bridgeport, CA 93517. Once received the submittal is complete. Note that the project is billed at $132/hr.
- Engineering Staff then assigns a map tracking number, creates an official project folder, and then forwards the submittal package on to our contracted County Surveyor.
- The County Surveyor will then contact you once the 1st technical review is complete, and can send comments back via email within 20 business days of submittal completion.
- Once the County Surveyor is satisfied with map content, he will contact you “to go to mylar”. At this point you send the signed and stamped mylar(s) directly to our contracted County Surveyor along with a check for the recorder’s fee*. The map recorder’s fee is $9 for the first sheet, and $3 for each additional sheet. Plus as of January 2018, SB2 creates an additional fee of $75 per parcel (max. $225). Make the recording fee check payable to “Mono County” or “Mono County Recorder”.
- If the review and processing time exceeds the deposit (beyond 5 hours), the Public Works dept./Finance Dept. generates an invoice for your project. Once verification of payment is made, County Staff will help process the map recordation, and email you back the recorded map. Typically one-sheet reviews do not require an invoice beyond deposit.
*Public Agencies are exempt from our recording fees per Gov. Code Sec. 6103, but must state such on the document to be recorded. Technical review fees can only be waived by Board of Supervisor’s action.
RECORDED MAP ACCESS
Scans of recorded Records of Survey, Tract Maps and Parcel Maps are available at the Clerk Recorder's Office in Bridgeport and/or online. If accessing online, scroll to the bottom of the GeoData Portal Page to the Archived Maps Browser, and then use the "Catalog to Browse" pull-down menu to select "Record Map Archive". Scans of Corner Records are also available within the Record Map Archive files.